iPhone and App Store is still the most sought after and contested app platform and app marketplace. Having a successful iPhone app is the dream chased by most developers. But the vast majority of apps that pass through App Store’s stringent criteria to be featured struggle to get enough users and revenue to justify their development effort.
Obviously, getting App Store ranking against respective keywords of every category and niche is what every iPhone app developer strives for. Some time-tested methods helped many apps garner good App Store rankings. There are also some emerging ways that proved effective for some apps to stay above the App Store competition. Considering all these, we have explained here 5 useful tips to boost your app ranking on the App Store.
- Choose the app name and icon wisely
The most elementary thing that needs a lot of consideration is the name and icon of your app. It is something you need to decide at the very beginning and cannot change once you are done with.
- Create a unique, instantly understandable, worth-remembering and catchy name.
- Be specific and avoid using generic terms like “Books”, “News”, “Movies” or “Music” as the name of your app. Remember, there are thousands of apps in each category catering such contents, and so, you need to be specific.
- Secondly, avoid using names that sound similar to other apps. Such names will only make you appear as fake or copied.
- The icon of an app should help your app stand out from the rest, and it should instantly make sense of what your app is about.
- Sophisticated look with a simple look and minimalist design and limited colour scheme always make a better impression.
- Perfecting your target keywords
App Store users search apps by typing the keywords or search terms. Naturally, to get higher ranks against these search terms, your App Store listing should incorporate a few of these target keywords. Let us offer some tips about fine-tuning your keywords.
- When using some keywords, always keep the length well within 100 characters. Separate keywords with commas and don’t use spaces between them.
- If your app doesn’t belong to any brand or celebrity, don’t use any celebrity or brand trademark in the keywords.
- Always try to add a descriptive keyword to the title to increase the chances of being discovered.
- Don’t compete with the most sought-after keywords as your chances will be lower. Instead in the beginning increase your chances by opting for keywords with lower search volume and long tail keywords.
- Though there are too many good keyword tools, they are used by almost all apps. So, to get a competitive advantage to engage real people and know what search terms they use to find your app.
- Use most advanced keyword research tools to stay competitive while finding the best and most relevant keywords of your niche. Some of the most important keyword tools include AppCodes, SensorTower, AppTweak and Mobile Action.
- You also need to evaluate and monitor the ranking of keywords from time to time. This will help you removing irrelevant ones and bringing new keywords that are being searched.
- Always stay alert and awake to the trending topics in your niche and incorporate keywords by using such trends. This will help you rank higher during particular events or any trending incident.
- Optimise App Store preview
Every app comes with a preview describing what the app is all about. Such preview consists of a description, some visuals of the app and also video showcasing the user experience and objective of the respective app. Here are some tips to optimise the App Store preview of your app.
- You need to write a short title within 50 characters describing what the app is about. Use one important keyword within the title.
- If you are not already a renowned brand, you need to write a description of your app that clearly mentions what it does along with how the core functions help users.
- Select a category that best describes the core function of your app.
- Write a short and user-focused description. Make it more readable by using bullet points and breaking the text into shorter paragraphs. To build credential use press statements, user testimonials and statistics. Give a clear list of particular user benefits. With the subsequent updates, always include version no and mention the changes made in updates.
- Use two to four hi-resolution screenshots that depict your app functions best.
- Use a short preview video showcasing the different functions and user experience of your app.
- Always localise your app preview texts by incorporating internationalization into the code base of your app.
- Push with inbound advertising
All the things that we have discussed so far will only help you attract the attention of users who are already on the App Store and looking for an app like yours. But the vast portion of your target audience mostly remains inactive on the App Store. You need strong inbound marketing to tell them about your app and consequently increase the search volume for your app. There are various time-tested ways to make inbound marketing work. Let’s us have a look.
- Use social media to get in touch with your audience. While Facebook offers an excellent way to showcase your value to the broader audience over a long time, Twitter can be a quicker and responsive way to address customers and provide service.
- Secondly, build a website and a blog for your app. The website and the character of the blogging will depend upon the nature of your app and its respective audience.
- When you know about your target audience and when you can afford to spend on ads, choose social media ads to target specific user base. Both Google and Facebook ads are a great way to get mileage.
- Always give importance to the cross-channel promotion of your app. Provide links of the App Store page or respective website or social profiles of your app in the email signature, digital business cards and in other company literature including brochures.
- Connect to your existing customers and promote the app against little freebies, offers or by holding events.
- Test, update and do better over time
An app is never a static entity. It needs to evolve and become better over time. From the testing phase to updating the app to the pushes with reviews and ratings, to move higher up the App Store rank, it needs continuous engagement.
- When the App Store preview is created, conduct A/B test of everything including icons, title, keywords, screenshots, descriptions and videos.
- Once the app is rolled out, come with frequent and time to time updates with some value additions like bug fixing, performance optimisation, new features, etc.
- Lastly, work extra hard to make your app rating better and to get more positive reviews. Never refrain from communicating your users for their honest feedback. Whenever you get positive feedback, ask them for a rating and a small review.
As the competition is getting tougher in the App Store, the apps no longer can afford to take things lightly. You need to make things perfect in all the above-mentioned aspects to expect a steady rise in ranking.
Juned Ghanchi is the co-founder of IndianAppDevelopers, a mobile development company which offers to hire app developers India for mobile solutions. Juned has ten years of experience in online marketing, especially in the tech sector.