At under $500, both Google Pixel 3a and Pixel 3a XL are placed inside the mid-range category. Although these devices are not as powerful as flagships in the market, they don’t lack substance. The new Pixel 3a series promises excellent photography solutions, long software updates, and smooth performance. However, buyers need to be realistic and have the right expectation. With the official announcement of the Pixel 3 and 3a, here are things you should expect to get:
- Mid-range processor: While flagships are powered with Qualcomm Snapdragon 855, the Pixel 3a series have Snapdragon 670 instead. In terms of performance, both devices are comparable to the earlier high-end Snapdragon 835 processor, which was released two years ago. However, Pixel 3a devices have stock Android operating system with no bloatware and demanding animation, which has a role in ensuring faster-perceived performance.
- No water resistance: Pixel 3a devices have no special water protection and IP rating. However, certain cases could help to minimize water damage. However, a few drops of rain won’t do these devices any warm, unless you accidentally submerge them under the water.
- Rear-firing speakers: Pixel 3a series has dual stereo speakers, but they don’t blast towards the front. As a result, audio quality may sound a bit muted compared to flagship models in the market.
- No wireless charging: Flagships devices have wireless charging that makes them more convenient to use. However, Pixel 3a series have 18W fast charging feature through USB-C port at the bottom of the device. So, in just an hour you can replenish much of the battery capacity.
- Plastic body: Instead of using metal and toughened glass, the body of Pixel 3a devices is made out of plastic material. But, it means that the body won’t shatter when you drop it accidentally like any premium, glass smartphone.
- Thick bezels: Pixel 3a devices have thick bezels at the bottom and top. But, this shouldn’t be an issue for people who use a smartphone only for functional purposes.
The new Pixels are absolutely worth it at £399, low budget for a smartphone with that many features. The camera quality is one of the features that pack a punch but there are loads more.