Although previous Pixel models only have a single camera, it doesn’t mean that they don’t do well in the photography department. Google manages to squeeze maximum performance out of the single-camera solution. The Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL finally arrive with dual cameras arrangement. If they did quite well with only a single camera, then we could get more with two cameras. Here are features of Pixel 4 cameras:
- Night Sight: On the Pixel 4, the Night Sight is vastly improved and it’s practically possible to take clear photos under the night sky with no post-processing procedure required. It means that, photos taken in dimly-lit environments like night clubs and streets at night will improve as well. Colors will be more vivid as well.
- Super Res Zoom: Other than the 12Mp primary camera, there’s also the 16Mp telephoto sensor with 2x optical zoom. Although it isn’t much on paper, but Google has a feature called Super Res Zoom. Users could zoom further thanks to the software to process the images. Google hasn’t revealed details about this, but the result is quite impressive.
- Live HDR+ : HDR+ gets a new improvement on both Pixel 4 models. One the viewfinder, you should get accurate preview before you take the photo. Basically, the HDR+ feature take a burst of still photos that are then combined by the phone’s software to produce a high quality finished image. However, getting a reliable preview on the screen isn’t always easy. With the powerful hardware of the Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL, you get a near 1:1 preview of the final result.
- Dual Exposure Controls: It is a familiar feature for people know about photography. It’s the first time for a smartphone to have the Dual Exposure Control on the display and it’s shown as separate sliders. With these sliders, you can control the highlights and shadows of the image separately.
- Machine learning white balancing: With this feature, you can get truer colors in images and photos. In some environments, getting a white balance correctly can be trickly, as an example in an indoor area with incandescent light. Earlier Pixel phones did a good job in managing white balance, but the Pixel 4 models leverage this feature further with machine learning.
- Improved portrait mode: Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL have dual cameras that can better separate subject and background when shooting still images in portrait orientation. Shallow depth of field is rendered in a more believable and natural manner that’s similar to devices with more comprehensive cameras.