Apple recently introduced the new iPhone 12 line up in its “Hi, Speed” event. The new lineup has several new features including 5G support, new cameras, the new powerful A14 chip, and more. In addition, the iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max duo are equipped with LiDAR sensors to improve the experience of augmented reality. In fact, you can actually measure your height with the iPhone 12 Pro duo thanks to the LiDAR sensors. This is a quite unique feature and not many people know about it.
So if you are wondering how to do this, check out our detailed guide below.
What You Need
To measure anyone’s height with the iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max, you just need to use the Measure app that comes pre-installed on your phone. This is how its icon looks like:
Here are the steps to measure a person’s height with your iPhone:
- Open the Measure app mentioned above
- A prompt message will ask you to stand a distance from the subject to measure. Adjust your position so your object fits inside the camera frame.
- When the Measure app detects a person in the frame, the LiDAR sensor will automatically measure their height, from the ground to the top of their head, hat, or hair.
- After a few seconds, a line will appear on top of the person’s head along with their measured height.
- To take a photo of the person with their height measured, tap the Capture button in the lower- right corner
- To save the photo, tap the screenshot in the lower-left corner and tap Done. You can choose Save to Photos or Save to Files so you can access and share them easily whenever you want
- To take the measurement again, turn your iPhone away for a few seconds to reset the height
Which Measure Unit Will It Use?
The measured height can be displayed in inches, feet, or centimeters. You can change the unit by going to Settings > Measure > Measure Units.
Other Things That You Can Measure With The iPhone 12 Pro
In fact, you can measure almost anything in your daily life, and the Measure app on your iPhone can act as your measuring tape. It can even measure a box or rectangular shape object with high accuracy. According to Apple, you can even measure the height of a person sitting in a chair using the Measure app. For more detail, you can check out Apple’s guide for Measure app here
Are There Any Other Devices That Have This Feature?
In addition to iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max, this feature is also available on iPad Pro 2020. Unfortunately, the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Mini won’t support Measure as they aren’t equipped with the LiDAR sensors.
There you go, now you know how to measure your height on the iPhone 12 Pro. While this is a simple feature, it is interesting to use a LiDAR sensor for such purposes. Since the LiDAR sensor can generate 3D maps, it will offer much more accurate height measurements than any AR applications.
So what do you think about this feature? Let us know in the comments!