If you are looking for a way to edit videos on your iPhone, iPad, or Macs, then Apple iMovie is a perfect option for you. There are so many ways a user can use to make videos with iMovie. Also, unlike other editing apps on the market, the iMovie allows you to continue the editing process across Apple devices. So, take a look at our guide for how to create a movie using iMovie app.
How to Use iMovie
The iMovie app isn’t installed on your devices by default, but you can download the app for free on the App Store.
Step 1: Create a New iMovie Project
To start, tap on the “+” to create your new project in the main panel. Then, you’ll see 2 options here: Movie and Trailer. We will talk about the Trailer in another article, just select Movie and let’s start with creating new videos now!
Step 2: Choose Your Clips
After choosing Movies, you will see a list of all the videos and photos on your iPhone here. Just tap on what materials you want to use for this project.
In case you forget to add some clips during the editing process, tap the + icon on the left-side of the main panel. Doing this will take you back to the library that contains your photos and videos. Also, if you want to change the order of your videos, simply hold and drag it to the preferred position.
Step 3: Editing
Next, click on the video you want to edit. Once you are in editing mode, you should see the yellow outline around that clip. The iMovie app offers various ways for you to edit:
- Edit video length
- Split 1 clip into multiple short ones
- Slow down or speed up
- Audio editing
- Change the transitions between videos
- Clone effect
Here is a video guide for each one!
Step 5: Add Filters
Just like Instagram, Snapchat, or other photos editing apps, the iMovie app possesses tons of new filters that allow you to apply a visual style to every clip, or your whole video. Here is how to do that:
- Select the clip you want to add filters
- Then, tap on the filters icon
- Choose the filter you like and add it to each clip individually. Or, repeat this step with every small clip, if you want to use 1 filter through the whole video.
Step 6: Add Music
When you are done with adding the visual effects to your clip, you might want to move to the audio. Apple iMovie has a library of free music you can use. But, if you’ve already had a bunch of songs on your Mac, just drag it straight from your device onto the project. On the other hand, follow these steps to edit music on iPhone and iPad:
- Tap the + button and select Audio. Here you can choose from the Theme music in iMovie or any music you have in your Apple Music app.
- Pick the songs you want
- Tap Use.
- Then, iMovie will drop the song onto your timeline. Double-tap it to enter the audio editing mode.
Step 7: Titles
Finally, In order to make your movie look professional, you’ll need some texts and titles:
- Click on the “T” icon when editing your clip.
- Then, you’ll see several different styles here. Each one has its own font and animation.
- Select the one that suits your project and type in some text.
- Choose a position and time frame you want that text to appear.
Step 8: Sharing your Movies
When you’re happy with your new work of art, tap Done to save. After that, you will be able to re-watch the whole video again. Also, tap the Share button if you want to send it to your friends or upload to social media.
Now you’re ready to make some amazing videos or movies to share with others! This app is very helpful with all kinds of projects, from creating funny clips to your school projects. Just think of all the creative ways you can make a compilation of photos and videos with. So, go ahead and give it a try!