It is quite easy to hide photos or videos on your iPhone nowadays. In fact, Apple introduced the Hidden Album feature back in iOS 10 to help users to do this. And recently, with the new iOS 14 release, this feature has been updated and optimized for better performance. On top of that, there are also some third-party apps that offer similar features. So whether you want to protect your secret photos from snooping friends or keep them safe if you lost your phone, here is how to hide photos on your iPhone.
Hide Photos Using Hidden Album
This feature will help you hide your selected photos and place them in a “Hidden Album”. Here are the steps:
- On your device, open the Photos app.
- Next, tap the Select option located in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select the pictures/videos you want to hide.
- Tap the Share button in the bottom left corner of the screen (the icon of a box with an arrow pointing upwards)
- In the next window, find select the Hide option.
- A pop-up notification will appear on the screen. Tap Hide Photo to confirm.
- Now the selected photos will move to the Hidden Album.
However, other people can still see the hidden photos by accessing the Hidden Album in your Photos app. Therefore, this wasn’t exactly an inconspicuous way of squirreling away private pictures in the previous iOS versions. But Apple has fixed this issue in iOS 14. Now you have the option to hide the Hidden Album completely. To do this, you need to:
- Go to Settings
- Scroll down select Photos
- toggle off Hidden Album
And done, your Hidden Album now disappears and nobody can see it. To make it show up again, simply toggle the Hidden Album option back on.
The Notes App Can Be Your Secrets Holder
Besides the Hidden Album feature, the default Notes app on your iPhone can also be a tool to hide your photos. Here is how:
- Go to the Photos app and select the photos you want to hide.
- Tap the Share icon at the bottom right corner.
- Select Notes in the list that shows up.
- Select the note to which you want to save the attachments. By default, this will be a New Note.
- Tap Save to export your photos to Notes.
- Now open your Notes app.
- Locate and open the note you just created.
- Swipe left on the note’s title to reveal the Padlock icon.
- Tap the Padlock to lock the note.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to hide your photos.
From now on, to lock/unlock this note or any other notes, tap it, and then authorize access with your password, face recognition, or fingerprint.
Using Third-Party Apps To Hide Your Photos
There are some third-party apps on the AppStore that also offer the same feature on your phone. These include Folder Lock, Private Photo Vault, Keepsafe, and Secret Apps Photo Lock. These apps allow you to secure your photos with passwords that are only accessible to you.
There you go, that is how you hide your photos on your iPhone. We recommend you enable password protection for all of your notes and photos to keep them safe from the prying eyes.
Let us know if the above guide works for you in the section below.